Why is Tamraya Fasting?


Why am I fasting? Simply, I am on a spiritual journey. As cliche as that sounds, I cannot think of a better phrase to explain this moment in my life. It all began a few years back when I took time off from naturopathic medical school for the promise of an adventure in a foreign land. Well--not exactly a foreign land, but rather the country in which my parents were raised; and coincidently, my new husband. It was only supposed to be a six month expedition. However, the six months turned into almost two years, a new found appreciation for the simple things in life, and a new baby.
I spent the first year in almost a state of stupor. I found myself with a lot of time on my hands, pregnant, and alone most days due to my husband's business travels. I can truly say I was sick of my own company. Honestly, How much time does one really need to spend in a state of personal discovery? For me, one year was definitely too much. By the end of the year I was extremely aware of my flaws and idiosyncrases (I was just hoping my husband was not as aware). I could truly say it was one of the hardest years of my life. I could also say, although not knowing this at the time, it was the beginning of my spiritual journey.
Today, two years later, I feel that I am ready to embark on a new phase in my journey. After extensive research (which I will gladly share in the days to come) about the health benefits of fasting, and after compiling many ahadith (narrations of the prophet Muhammad (PBUH)) about the desired days of fasting; I came to the conclusion that to expedite my spiritual discovery I must fast. Fasting for Muslims, is abstaining from food, drink, and other indulgences from dawn to dusk. In doing so, one is detached from his basic desires, and his heart is more pure and ready for enlightenment. I am not pushing my luck and setting my sight on enlightenment. I just want to be a better person, a better citizen, a better wife, a better mother, and simply, a person who can enjoy her own company.

Days of Fasting

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Source

   These animals are not for eating. These animals are not for breeding. These animals are for nothing more than profit. Which animals? I am speaking of the animals that we, unfortunately, eat and breed.


   I added something new to my fasting these past two weeks. Consciousness of the source. The source of the food that I am eating. When I started my fasting journey I spoke of the importance of conscious eating. Conscious eating to me meant that I was eating foods that made me feel spiritually, physically, and emotionally whole. I felt whole when I ate foods that were at their purest state, where I could almost physically see the vitamins and minerals luminesce. However, I was missing something…

   I had just come home from a long day and I was very hungry. I felt that my body was calling out for protein. Part of conscious eating, to me, is listening to my body’s needs. And my body was saying, “Lamb chops”. I momentarily deceived my body by having a handful of almonds while I waited for my meat to cook. As I stood over the stove watching my meal tenderize, I began to ponder, “I wonder if this lamb was a happy animal”.I conjured up an image in my mind of a plump lamb lazily grazing in the fields.  After all, I am a firm believer in the transfer of energy. If the lamb was happily roaming the green lush fields eating to his heart’s content, while playing freely with his other lamb friends, then he surely would be transferring his happiness to me. I would be eating happy meat. I chuckled at the thought as I gathered my utensils and my serving dish. I plated my meal, lit a candle, and made one of the favorite drinks to ensure that the ambiance was just right for the “happy transfer”. I was famished and I was looking to feed my soul. Half way through my meal I felt uncomfortably full and surprisingly, a little queasy. “ This animal was definitely not a happy one” I said under my breath while pushing the dish away.
   After cleaning up, I decided to go on my computer and do a little research. And wow, did I get an awakening! After reading many articles on the living conditions of the cows, chickens, and other popular meats that we consume, I became nauseous. I realized that I was never conscious of the source. I was not thinking of the living conditions of these animals or what was being injected into these animals to make them available for mass production--I almost wanted to become a vegetarian. I say almost because I knew the answer was not vegetarianism. The problem was not the idea of eating meats, but rather the meat itself. This got me thinking about the Prophet (pbuh) and what he would say if he saw us eating meat in this condition. I convinced myself that he would be far from pleased and I vowed that I would not eat meat unless I was completely comfortable with its source. I am now eating with more of a consciousness and I am happy. Now, if only I could transfer my happy energy to these animals...

No comments:

Post a Comment