Why is Tamraya Fasting?


Why am I fasting? Simply, I am on a spiritual journey. As cliche as that sounds, I cannot think of a better phrase to explain this moment in my life. It all began a few years back when I took time off from naturopathic medical school for the promise of an adventure in a foreign land. Well--not exactly a foreign land, but rather the country in which my parents were raised; and coincidently, my new husband. It was only supposed to be a six month expedition. However, the six months turned into almost two years, a new found appreciation for the simple things in life, and a new baby.
I spent the first year in almost a state of stupor. I found myself with a lot of time on my hands, pregnant, and alone most days due to my husband's business travels. I can truly say I was sick of my own company. Honestly, How much time does one really need to spend in a state of personal discovery? For me, one year was definitely too much. By the end of the year I was extremely aware of my flaws and idiosyncrases (I was just hoping my husband was not as aware). I could truly say it was one of the hardest years of my life. I could also say, although not knowing this at the time, it was the beginning of my spiritual journey.
Today, two years later, I feel that I am ready to embark on a new phase in my journey. After extensive research (which I will gladly share in the days to come) about the health benefits of fasting, and after compiling many ahadith (narrations of the prophet Muhammad (PBUH)) about the desired days of fasting; I came to the conclusion that to expedite my spiritual discovery I must fast. Fasting for Muslims, is abstaining from food, drink, and other indulgences from dawn to dusk. In doing so, one is detached from his basic desires, and his heart is more pure and ready for enlightenment. I am not pushing my luck and setting my sight on enlightenment. I just want to be a better person, a better citizen, a better wife, a better mother, and simply, a person who can enjoy her own company.

Days of Fasting

Monday, January 11, 2010

Deep Within

   Instinctively, a sick animal resorts to fasting. It realizes that its health is compromised so it retires to somewhere calm and secluded and abstains from eating. Instinctively. But where has our instinct gone? The more physically, psychologically, and emotionally sick we get, the more we eat. This defies our nature. Allah (swt) supplied us with an inner voice. Most people have stifled it to a mere whisper. In some it has become silent. We need to retrain ourselves, to once more, hear our inner voice. If we were to genuinely listen, we would hear something completely different than what we have been accustomed to hearing. Most of us have trained ourselves to believe that ‘taking a pill’ is the solution when we are physically, psychologically or emotionally unbalanced. We go about abusing our bodies, pouring in toxins, be it through food, environment, or thoughts; and we do not want to accept responsibility for our toxicity. Instead we think that it is not our fault that we are not at our optimal health, “Oh it is the Qadar(will) of Allah (swt)”, we say to ourselves. While everything is by the will of Allah (swt), we need to stop justifying sickness. Sickness is not a normal part of life. Say that with me now. Sickness is not a normal part of life. As shocking as that concept may be, Allah (swt) created our bodies to withstand harsh environments, harmful microbes, and even the intentional or unintentional things we do to our bodies. But there comes a point. A red line, if you will. And we have crossed that red line. Used and abused. And we need to stop. We need to take responsibility for our health and realize that we do have a critical role in our vitality, and honestly—all we have to do is listen to our inner conscience. I am not saying that we need to go out and try to change all aspects of our lives. All I am saying is that Allah (swt) has supplied us with a precious tool within and we should take advantage of its benefits. Next time when you are not feeling well, please dig deep and listen; and you will realize that your inner conscience is definitely not telling you to “go ahead, have that third helping of dinner”, rather, it is probably telling you, “rest, relax, do not abuse your senses, and take it easy on that fried chicken”.

No comments:

Post a Comment